Automatic Periodic Execution of Test Suites

Feb 18, 2015 at 3:57 PM
Edited Feb 18, 2015 at 3:58 PM
My team is excited about the use of a repeatable test suite for development. I am curious about post-development testing though. What method would say would be easy to automate the running of the test suite periodically (daily, weekly) and send the result set? Is there a way to run the test suite as part of an SSIS package or SQL Server job in order to check the latest updates?

As I use the test suite to verify data as well as cube structures, I wouldn't want to have my test suites to waste away after the initial development process subsides. I would prefer to use them throughout the software development lifecycle and identify potential problems should erroneous data be introduced in load.
Coordinator
Feb 19, 2015 at 7:03 AM
Edited Feb 23, 2015 at 12:46 PM
NBi is "just" an add-on to NUnit. It means that everything working for NUnit should also work for NBi.

Based on this if you want to schedule a daily run of your test-suite, you can create a schedule task on your server and invoke the NUnit console. It should take 5 minutes to setup. Then it will generate an xml file at each execution. Up to you parse this (if needed).

You can also take a look to some continuous integration tools such as Team City, they offer some opportunities to run builds and run NUnit after the build. They also have some integrated tools to parse the xml file and offer a kind of history of the failures.