This project is read-only.

Gui for XML edition

Nov 20, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Hi

This is to notify my initiative to build a GUI to ease the edition of XML test suites.

This is not yet hosted anywhere, I'm waiting to get a first usable draft. This is named Anbigui.

Cheers

Nov 22, 2012 at 4:21 AM

That's a great news.

FYI the XSD (specifically for structure tests) will change in the next release, it's probably a good idea to already use it (sources are committed in default branch). I've no plan to change again the XSD in next versions. The project (and dll) NBi.Xml contains the class to translate from Xml to objects and from objects to Xml.

The sources available on codeplex includes a GUI to generate automatically a test suite (based on an imported structure). This UI is probably not working anymore but is the next big task after the refactoring that I'm currently applying.

Nov 22, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Hi,

Thanks for telling. I had a look at the new XSD and yes, there are some new stuff. I'll take them into account.

I'm not using visual studio (I don't have it) but sharpdevelop. I built an add-in that generates the classes from the XSD at each change, based on XML.exe in the SDK.

Also, I tried to build it in order to see the UI, but I have an issue with NuGet. I tried to apply the apropriate settings or to get rid of it, but I failed. So I keep working on my gui and I'll send you a first draft when I get something usable.

Nov 22, 2012 at 5:11 PM

One more question: do you have a reference documentation of the XSD? or do you intend to produce one? this would be helpful to understand how some elements will be used (settings references for instance), and therefore how they should be presented to the user...

Thanks

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:31 PM
netcrawler wrote:I'm not using visual studio (I don't have it) but sharpdevelop. I built an add-in that generates the classes from the XSD at each change, based on XML.exe in the SDK.

The dll NBi.Xml is already doing a mapping between xml and some classes. It should certainly be improved but probably better to take a look, could avoid a lot of work for you.

Also, I tried to build it in order to see the UI, but I have an issue with NuGet. I tried to apply the apropriate settings or to get rid of it, but I failed. So I keep working on my gui and I'll send you a first draft when I get something usable.

Huuum interresting. I also had some issues with Nuget in the past and with my build system. In the folder "packages", you'll find 3 bat files. If you copy Nuget.exe in this folder and execute the bat files, you'll have the needed assemblies correctly installed.

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:40 PM
netcrawler wrote:

One more question: do you have a reference documentation of the XSD? or do you intend to produce one? this would be helpful to understand how some elements will be used (settings references for instance), and therefore how they should be presented to the user...

Thanks

The best documentation that I've about the XSD is under the tab "documentation" and is for an end-user (and for version 0.9.4). The best I can say is just ask your question.

About "Default", I'm really suprised that I've not documented it. It's implemented and working. This let the end-user define at one place a connectionString (usually for the OLAP system). If no connectionString is specified in the query tag, this default connectionString is used by NBi. Mainly, the goal is to avoid to repeat the same connectionString for all your queries.

About Reference, it's not implemented for the moment. The idea is the same avoid to replicate a full connectionString for a lot of queries. You define your connectionString at the top of your test-suite and you can use it quickly in your queries. I don't have the full implementation in my head for the moment (usage of IDREF/ID in xml or built-in mechanism) so probably a bit tricky to work on this right now.