Compare 2 cubes SSAS

Jan 7, 2015 at 7:40 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm new in nbi, I saw a lot of videos of last SQL Server Days France and read some blogs about nbi (fleid.net & seddryck).

Unhopefully, I didnt find what I wanna do, I'm trying to test 2 SSAS cube structures (PROD & ACC) to check if all dimensions, attributes and measures exists in acceptance version cube are still ok. Do you know if it exists any way to do this?

Thank you in advance.
Coordinator
Jan 7, 2015 at 8:19 AM
Yes surely, you can do this with NBi (I'm doing this regularly).

Because NBi is a testing automation framework and not a comparer, you can't just say "compare cube structures". In place, you should always write your tests such as "on this system, I'm expecting this feature (in your case dimension, hierarchy, ...). For the kind of regression testing you're preparing, it will result in a large test-suite: each dimension, hierarchy, measure should have its own test.

To build this kind of test-suite, you need to use Genbi and/or genbiL and some DMV of the cubes. I'm currently preparing a few blog posts to explain in detail how to achieve this (and provide a show-case of the power of genbiL). I'm expecting to publish the first part during the next 15 days. I'll add a link to this discussion when the first part is published but you can already take a look to genbiL if you want to start by yourself.
Jan 7, 2015 at 8:50 AM
Edited Jan 7, 2015 at 8:58 AM
Thanks Seddryck for ur quick answer.

I was thinking in the same thing, I mean, use DMV ASSP, and Genbi(L) to generate the code dynamically, but I'm really new in GenbiL so I wasnt sure where to start.

I'll be waiting for your posts and in the meantime I'll try to learn more about GenbiL.

Thank you again.
Mar 2, 2015 at 8:15 AM
Hello Seddryck,

I just passed by here to suggest my help, maybe I can help in you in something? I'm very interested in this feature and I was asking me when this feature will be available??

Thank you
Coordinator
Mar 5, 2015 at 8:43 PM
The feature is available (I don't need to develop anything), but without guidance, it's a bit tricky to use. Unfortunately for the moment and during at least next 15 days, I've not a lot of time to post how to build a regression test-suite for a cube. But here is the first part ...

https://seddryck.wordpress.com/2015/03/05/regression-test-suite-for-bi-solution-part-1/